08 November 2009

The bizarro Han

When Scott and I worked at Di Bruno Bros. in Philly we became really good friends with an Indonesian guy named Han. He was hired by Genji to make sushi for the upstairs café during lunch. Han would treat me to his awesome sushi daily and I would seriously eat it for lunch almost everyday when he was there. In fact, he would get a little offended if (for some odd reason) I wasn't hungry or just didn't want any on a particular day. On those days when I said "no thanks" he would sometimes leave sushi in the fridge for me anyway...or (and this is the best part) call me later on and drop off a tray at our apartment. He was our sushi guy and every time we happened to get sushi from some other source, Scott and I would agree that Han could make it better, or we just straight up felt like we were cheating on him.

Alas, times changed: I left Di Bruno's and so did Han, he started working the sushi counter at the Whole Foods on South Street. I would stop in from time to time to see him (and get my daily fill). It always seemed like he genuinely enjoyed making it for us. But, I digress...

Scott found this place called SoSushi in Palermo and yesterday we found ourselves sitting at the bar for lunch. We are all the way on the other side of the Atlantic, missing home, friends and family, but we happened upon something yesterday while we were eating: it seems we have found our bizarro Han and also a little taste of something we miss from home. Read Scott's analysis on lunch at Getting Lost in Sicily.

No comments:

Post a Comment