18 February 2010

Cupcake Trial

I'm baking 100 vanilla cupcakes with rose buttercream frosting for my little sweetie Josephine's Christening this weekend so tonight I did a trial  run.  I'm using a recipe from the famed Magnolia Bakery in New York.  You can find the recipe here.  My sister originally asked me to bake a cake, but the first thing that popped into my head was this vision of a long table filled with cupcakes on mismatched cake stands.  So, to make things harder on myself (as always) I'm making a whole bunch of tiny cakes instead of making one big cake.  Somehow, my sister also talked me into letting her wear my favorite green snakeskin heels on Sunday.  I love to torture myself.
 
Turns out my Mom had a great idea:  putting a cake stand with cupcakes in the middle of each table.  It can function both as a dessert and a centerpiece.  I think it will look fab.  I've been collecting cake stands for a little while so I already have quite a few, but I'll be shopping around tomorrow to add 2 more to my collection.  I have a bunch of really cool little ones - but they won't help me here because I need them to fit at least 8 cupcakes.  The small stands I have are so adorable.  They just make me smile.

I wanted to do a test batch of the recipe today because I want to see how they'll keep overnight.  I've been reading a lot of conflicting information online about storing cupcakes so I'm really interested in the outcome of this.  It seems that most people recommend  baking them the day before and then storing them (either in the fridge or at room temp, suggestions vary) wrapped tightly, then frosting them before they are served.  I really want to avoid frosting them in the wee hours of Sunday morning, considering I won't even be able to begin baking until about 7pm Saturday night.  I'll already be up all night so I don't want to wake up at the crack of dawn to frost these things.  Right now I have a few frosted and a few plain, some in the fridge and some tightly wrapped in plastic on the counter.  We'll see what happens. 

While the cupcakes were cooling I watched Moonstruck with my parents and had a glass of wine.  That's a whole other blog post in itself.

3 comments:

  1. Great post - I hope you take lots of pictures. I'm sure they will turn out delicious, as they always do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While the cupcakes sound fantastic, i just want to watch Moonstruck with Patty and Tommy. Either that or Beaches

    ReplyDelete