25 February 2010

The Milk Whisperer

I'm kind of snob when it comes to espresso drinks, and I'm not ashamed to say that.  After spending so much time in Italy, I am often shocked and appalled by what can pass as a "cappuccino" in my home country.  In Italy you always get your cappuccino served in china at a temperature that won't burn your lips off, there's only one size and no one takes it to go.  You belly up to the bar (coffee bar - that is), relax for a few minutes, sip your coffee and return to the streets refreshed.  I've had a lot of cappuccini in Sicily and I can say that most of the time you get a good one.  Of course I've had a bad one here and there - but even the bad ones in Italy are far better than the bad ones I've had in America.  

For these reasons this gem from Serious Eats is totally worth a read.  Also read this post from today which has a very helpful video.  Maybe if customers started demanding perfection and avoiding mediocre drinks (I'm talking about you, Starbucks) we could all find a decent cappuccino in more than one place in Philly (I'm talking to you, La Colombe, it's about time someone dethroned you).

No comments:

Post a Comment