06 October 2009

Lattuga Romana

Isn't this gorgeous? Believe it or not, a decent head of lettuce was not easy to come by in Balestrate until a few months ago when a little produce stand opened up around the corner from our apartment. There are produce vendors all over this town, but it seemed like I could rarely find anything good READ: not half rancid. All I could find was romaine (I would end up throwing half of it out because slugs were burrowing into it) or iceberg (I can get the same amount of nutrition from drinking a glass of water). Since we eat salad just about everyday this was proving to be a problem. All is well now though, since my favorite little fruttivendolo is just around the corner and supplies me with bright green lettuces and only a mere 2 minute walk. This beauty only cost €.85, it doesn't get much better than that. My everyday salad dressing: a tablespoon of dijon mustard, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper. It doesn't need anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment