21 October 2009

Soup season is upon us

The weather here lately has left much to be desired. Lots of rain and dark skies. It even got cold enough last week for me to start wearing a jacket outside. Luckily, I've been keeping up with my knitting and I have an assortment of scarves ready to be worn. I guess it's only a matter of time before my borsa dell'acqua calda makes an appeance tucked between the sheets in our bed.

I actually love cold weather, when I'm at home in Philly, that is. I think that part of the fun of winter time is warming yourself up with a glass of red wine and a hot bowl of soup. And for me a fleece blanket, a hot water bag and comfy ugg boots. You won't believe it, but last winter here felt colder to me than any winter I've spent at home in recent years. I think it was a combination of things: we don't have heat in our apartment, my lack of proper winter clothing, proximity to the sea putting a serious chill in the air and distance from family and friends.

Making soup is comforting and wonderful on so many levels. It's economical, a great way to use up things in the fridge, you can make a huge pot of it and have meals for a week, it warms you up and it makes a house smell like a home. It just makes me smile.

Last week I did Tomato Potato soup, Scott's Grandfather gave us his recipe last year. It's super easy and delicious: diced potatoes, a couple cans of diced tomatoes and chicken stock (I also add an obscene amount of garlic and thyme to this, not part of the original recipe). The best part: caramelize a mess of onions and then add that to the pot before you serve it. Incredibly simple and really, really good with a grilled ham and cheese sandwich on the side.

This week was Spicy Carrot Ginger soup. Not much to it: carrots, a lot of garlic (I have a problem), ginger, celery, onion, red pepper, salt, cumin and vegetable stock. Would it have been even better with a little cream added? Of course, but I didn't have any, it was raining and I was determined to ONLY make this soup with what was in my kitchen. We had it for dinner (and lunch for the next 2 days) with bread, asiago, salame and a few arancine I made with some porcini risotto that was hanging out in the fridge from a previous dinner. All in all a good use of what I had on hand. Cream Shream, who needs it.

2 comments:

  1. cream schream i love it
    and rice balls......mmmmmmm wish you guys
    lived next door
    grandpa lew will be proud to know that
    he was given some credit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a place near me that makes crazy good arancine. Now, of course, I've never had yours.

    But what a crazy delicious treat.

    Who would think we would even have a decent source for it in Albany.

    ReplyDelete